Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Special Guest at Practice

Word came down from above. Newly appointed Dartmouth President Jim Yong Kim would like to attend practice. YIKES!!

I scurried to retype and actually proof my practice plan. I broke out my new Nike sneakers, the ones I had been saving for summer recruiting, grabbed a whistle without bite marks and lamented that I had not chosen a more stylish sweat suit to wear that day!

I headed down to the gym early to make sure everything was in order. After all, company was coming.

Not only was President Kim already in the gym, but I had been misinformed. He did not want to watch practice. He wanted to PRACTICE! No fancy Brooks Brothers suit with trademark green tie for the 17th president in the Wheelock succession.  No … he was in his work out clothes, his sneakers were laced, a ball in his hands. He was ready to practice.

I decided shooting drills in close to the basket would be a good group activity. It would reduce the risk of injury to the President and allow him to return unscathed to Parkhurst. I learned quickly that President Kim needed no protection from the rigors of practice. He could shoot! He was nailing his shots, high five-ing the players and full of energy ready for a workout.

At the first break in the action, the President came over to me and asked, “When do we scrimmage?” Quick thinker that I am, I said, “Now.“ We went 5-on-5 in the half court and he picked Brittney Smith to be on his team — he knows the game. He guarded rookie Kylie Kufeld, who hit a quick three. He commented, “Okay, you get respect.” She did not make another shot. He rifled no-look passes to Brittney, helped out on the drive, rebounded and of course he shot. After all he is from Iowa and they learn to shoot at a young age in Iowa. What wonderful fun we had that day!

The players are still talking about is his visit. The buzz on the team — PRESIDENT KIM HAS GAME!

- Coach Wielgus








2 comments:

  1. Aw, I would have wanted to play with the President Kim. Great story, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with your new president and how interested he is in Dartmouth students. Also loved the Kylie 3 pointer story! ;-)

    ReplyDelete