Thursday, December 31, 2009

Coach’s Favorite Christmas Presents

Christmas was wonderful! Family time, good meals and lots of laughter all come together at this joyous time of the year.

But my favorite Christmas presents came late and never made it under the tree. They arrived on Dec 29 during our Blue Sky Basketball Classic. I was minding my own business at the press table watching Vermont beat Dayton, when I was tapped on the shoulder. I turned around and there was a tanned, fit, smiling Koren Schram’09! What a treat! Koren was home for the holidays from Iceland, where she is having a blast playing on a professional basketball team. It was so much fun to spend time with her, but I had to cut the conversation short ... we had a game to be played.

So I assumed my pre-game position on the bench waiting for the URI game to begin. Much to my surprise out of the stands comes Derrick Harrison ’07! Derrick was our team manager and my good friend. Derrick is teaching math in a middle school in the Bronx and he just completed his masters program. He had his delightful girlfriend Amber with him.

I can’t tell you what a joy it was to see Koren and Derrick. I think Christmas came twice to me this year!!

- Coach Wielgus

No comments:

Post a Comment