Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Abbey’s Got Game and She Can Bake!


I recently learned something about sophomore Abbey Schmitt, she and I share a passion for all things cupcakes! 

Ever since I had my first cupcake from Georgetown Bakery in Washington, D.C., about five years ago. I have been hooked. Let’s just say I’ve even gone so far to have them shipped to me here in New Hampshire, so it’s a pretty serious addiction. Thankfully there is one on Newberry Street in Boston so whenever I need a fix it’s not too far!

Abbey, also likes cupcakes and she’s a pretty good baker too because her cupcake won Dartmouth’s version of Cupcake Wars on Oct. 14. That’s right, she beat out 60 other bakers for the title of Best Cupcake!

The event was a fundraiser raising money for ChaD and Abbey and one of her friends from back home, Katie Rowe, who is a freshman decided to go with Caramel Apple cupcakes. They were apple cupcakes with cream cheese filling and caramel frosting … ALL MADE FROM SCRATCH! (Thanks Pintrest for the recipe:)  The duo even put wooden sticks in them to make them look like real caramel apples … genius!  The cupcakes must have been good because they won first place in the crowd vote despite running out of cupcakes halfway through the event. In my mind, that’s the universal sign that they are good, when you run out it means they taste fantastic.

Head coach Chris Wielgus even had a hand in the win letting pair borrow her electric mixer, bowl and cupcake pan!

I like this bake-off idea, I think we need to do this among the basketball team. I say we break into teams and the coaches and support staff get to decide who’s the best baker … I’m down, especially if it involves cupcakes!

Well done Abbey!

Jess Poole

No comments:

Post a Comment