Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Early Season Opinions

The Ivy League's annual preseason poll has come out and a panel of 16 media members and women's basketball sports info contacts think the two-time defending Ivy Champion Dartmouth women will win it all again.

Dartmouth received 11 first-place votes (of a possible 16), garnering 123 of a possible 128 points. Harvard, which finished second in 2009, is a close second in this poll with 115 points and five first-place votes. Princeton and Columbia are neck-and-neck for the next two spots, with 86 and 83 points, respectively.

We're not a bad pick considering that the Big Green has won four of the last five Ivy titles. But preseason polls are a funny thing. I don't think anyone places much stock in them anyway. I'm entering my fourth year here and this is actually the first time we've been picked to finish first. We were tabbed for second in 2006-07 and finished there, fourth in 2007-08 and finished tied for first and second in 2008-09 and finished first.

Those of you who know Coach Wielgus and all that she has seen in 24 years in this league can probably imagine her take on it, but here it is:

"I appreciate that we have been picked first but I put absolutely no stock in it," said Wielgus. "Nobody knows what is going to happen; the league is extremely balanced and I think there's teams in there that have been picked in traditional spots that belong higher. I have such respect for my opponents and I know that any one of us can win this Ivy Championship. I'm looking forward to starting the season and the only poll that matters is the one at the end of the year."

For my official DartmouthSports.com take on things and the full poll results, click here.

- Dara
(Dartmouth Sports Info)

No comments:

Post a Comment